Style Tips for Spring Summer 2014
Slowly, somewhat erratically, spring is making inroads into the dark days of winter. You are bored with the blacks and the greys, tired of carrying around the puffas and hiding your face under the somewhat menacing hoodies. You yearn for the sensuality of flowing maxi dresses, the freedom of flirty, floaty kaftans and the splash of colour to uplift your soul. But you are not quite sure what are trending this spring summer 2014.
Look no further. Follow the key trends of Spring Summer 2014 listed below and ride the wave of fashion.
- The white shirt: The basic white shirt is a fashion staple. However, in 2014, the white shirt is not so basic anymore. It comes with a twist. It can be asymmetric or embellished with fabric manipulations like appliqué. A reverse appliqué white shirt is a good investment.
- Geometry: Geometry may or may not have been your favourite subject in school but remembering the geometric shapes will stand you in good stead in 2014. Graphic prints rule the roost. Graphic or Aztec printed kaftans are trendy, versatile and comfortable in summer 2014.
- Bling is king: The jeweled look is abundant, in clothes and accessories. Make sure your Aztec kaftan is highlighted with crystals and your beaded clutch bag sparkles with faux gemstones
- Ladylike: Voluminous lady like silhouettes like gathered or puffball dresses and tiered skirts are ideal for the spring racing season and lazy summer afternoons
- English countryside: The demure damsel look is reinforced further by delicate floral prints in pink, coral and aqua blue. Think coral red poppies and bright yellow daisies.
- Lace: Lady like and lace are never apart. Lace in garments like skirts and accessories like scarves completes the Jane Austen look. Finish the look with a lace parasol.
- Black and white: Black and white is here to stay. It manifests itself in stripes, graphic prints and chevrons.
- Cold shoulder: The ’70 flower power theme is taking over the runways. A flowing spaghetti strap maxi dress is reminiscent of the boho chic of the ‘70s. Complete this carefree look with pompom scarves and crochet kaftans.
- Metallic: Metallica and psychedelica bring back the disco fever. Opt for chainmail, sequins and grunge.
- Go orange: Go orange instead of going bananas. Orange is the new black. Wear an orange hand tie dyed kaftan and get your Woodstock look right this summer.